Friday, December 27, 2002

ESSCH! We're in Ho Chi Minh city. This is supposed to be the tough city, but so far Mark and I find it much more modern, clean, and manageable then Hanoi. Just goes to show......
Went to the War Remnants Museum today. Pretty disturbing stuff. Got stopped by a guy outside one of the halls, who was missing both arms and an eye. He was very pleasant and spoke English very well. He seemed to just want to make conversation and sell some books or postcards, but given the situation and my nationality (which he immediately inquired about) I felt very depressed and manipulated. Mark showed up shortly after I encountered the guy and gave me a graceful exit. The man did nothing wrong, but I still feel so horrible about the encounter. Guilty, is really how I felt. The museum really pushes the crimes the "Americans perputrated against the Vietnamese". Funny there's no mention of the re-education camps and the way south Vietnamese (ARVN) veterans are still being oppressed here today.
I'm sick again. I've been fighting headaches and the worst reflux of my life the last few days. Not sure what's going on, but I'm ready to be home. Too bad we don't really have one. Priority number one when we get back to S'pore is finding some kind of semi-permanent residence. We had thought about living in some kind of home-share with another expat couple, but I think that idea's been trashed. We need privacy, something I'd love to take for granted after over a month of traveling and living in other people's houses. I'm definitely starting to feel travel fatigue.

No comments: