Wednesday, February 05, 2003

We had an enjoyable evening. We went across the street to the Newton Circus Hawker Center (a hawker center is a food court with vendors selling local fare), and purchased four dinners. Not because we were starving, but the first three weren't that great, and at $3.50 Singapore dollars a plate we figured why settle for mediocre. On the fourth try we hit the jackpot: Mark ordered tiger prawns with chili sauce, and the sauce was soooo good I ended up ordering a small plate of rice to go with them and just poured some of his sauce on it as my dinner. YUM! After dinner we stumbled upon a dancing dragon. It's Chinese New Year so the Dragon puppets that go unanimated most of the year (except practice) and their peeps get the chance to do their thang.
On a sadder note, part of me feels guilty for escaping some of the grief I know I'd feel if I were in the States now for the victims of the Space Shuttle. There are no obvious half-mast flags (probably at the American Embassy, but I rarely go by), and no reminders of the tragedy outside of the T.V. as English language newspapers usually need to be hunted down to purchase, as opposed to being everywhere as in the States. Still, it's obviously a very tragic occurence, and I'm saddened whenever I think of the astronauts and their families.

No comments: