Thursday, June 24, 2004

Steal a poll: I stole this off Kristen's blog
Where Were You When...
The Questions:
1. Where were you when you heard that Ronald Reagan died?
2. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
3. Where were you when you heard that Princess Diana died?
4. Do you remember where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?
5. Take one for The Gipper: What'?s your favorite flavor of jelly bean?
6. Where were you when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS?
7. Where were you when Reagan was shot?
8. Where were you when the Challenger exploded?
9. Where were you when the 0J verdict was announced?


My answers:
1. Where were you when you heard that Ronald Reagan died?
In our apartment here in Singapore. Hardly a shock, the man had been suffering from Alzheimer's since his second term in office.
2. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
At the "Babies Can't Wait" office in Decatur, GA. I was given an assessment to a little guy who ended up graduating from our program when the first plane hit the World Trade Center, I remember thinking it must have been a small two seater before seeing the footage on television. I watched the towers go down minutes later with my horrified co-workers on the office tv used for conferences. I had to stay at work the rest of day and maintain some type of surface normality. To add to the amazing stress of the day, Mark and I heard from his best friend that evening that another one of our friends had gone into a coma and wasn't expected to survive. Luckily, our friend lived and is okay today.
3.Where were you when you heard that Princess Diana died?
I remember this perfectly. I was in New York, in Times Square with Kristina. We read the news along the ticker tape. It was something like 1am or later, in the middle of the summer. I remember going down to wait for the subway after reading the news.
4. Do you remember where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?
I'm shocked I don't remember the exact moment I heard about this. I was/am a big Nirvana fan. The memory seems vaguely confused with Jerry Garcia's death, they died the same year a few months apart. That seems sad to associate the death of these two, but.... What's funny is that I can remember the exact moment I first heard "smells like teen spirit". I was in Hasting's Music in Fayettevile, Arkansas, and I remember thinking the song was amazing. I may have purchased Nevermind then, if not it was only days later.
5. Take one for The Gipper: What'?s your favorite flavor of jelly bean?
I like the pina colada jelly bellys, and the watermelon flavour.
6. Where were you when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS?
Don't know.Somewhere in Atlanta.
7. Where were you when Reagan was shot?In Augsburg, Germany where my family was stationed at the time. This is another confused memory where I'm not sure if I'm remembering remembering the Reagan shotting or John Lennon being shot, again they happened within a few months of each other. I remember feeling sad and confused about them both, butJohn Lennon being shot was more tragic to me, even at 10 years old.
8. Where were you when the Challenger exploded?
Home in Shirley, Massachusetts. I was home taking a sick day or skipping school (I think it was a legitimate sick day) and remember watching it over and over again on the news crying. My mother had been away on a business trip and I can remember picking her up at Logan airport with my dad and telling her the news. Did it really happen that way mom?
9. Where were you when the 0J verdict was announced?
I don't remember where I was when the verdict was announced, probably at home because if I'd been panicked about riots (I lived in Atlanta), I'd remember it. I do remember where I was when the Bronco chase took place: I was at work at Rocky's. It was a relatively busy night, I remember the restaurant being mostly full, and everyone's attention riveted to the television.

Feel free to copy the poll and post your own responses in the comment box. Or e-mail your poll to me or Mark and we'll post them.

No comments: