Thursday, July 01, 2004

Does this make sense to you? Mark and I are trying to save money by mailing our things by surface mail through the Singapore post, rather than through a shipper/mover. Today I wanted to insure a few packages, which ultimately left me with a lot less faith that our packages are ever going to arrive. The post handlers wrote on the insured boxes "insured for X dollars"; who does that help? Is it just to alert potential robbers that there might be something valuable in the box? Because let's face it, if the box goes missing writing on the box isn't going to be helpful. Nice of them to write out just how valuable the stuff might be in dollar amount too, isn't it, just in case you're only willing to risk it for really valuable stuff. They also gave me a hard time about my boxes (standard moving boxes, well packed) and said I didn't use enough tape (I did), and made a big fuss of re-taping the edges of the insured boxes (only the insured boxes, the others aren't their problem) with little insurance stickers (I'm sure that will make a big difference).
So we've sent about 12 boxes so far, with about 8 more to send. I'm thinking we'll be lucky if we see 10 on the other side. On the plus side, it is MUCH cheaper to send our things this way.
Moving sucks.

No comments: