Tuesday, August 31, 2004

WOO HOO! So I'm browsing Slashdot, and I notice that the new IOCCC winners have been announced. "Bummer," I think, because they always email the winners before announcing, and I hadn't heard anything. Then, I read the winners list, and lo and behold, there's my name. GEEK BLISS!

They make up the categories every year, but they often get re-used. My category, "Best Non-Use of Curses", is a new one -- in explanation, "curses" is a C package that lets you do animation. My program simulates character animation without it -- by generating a string which you then paste into the "vi" editor. The act of pasting is what actually starts the animation.

The source code won't be posted there until mid-October.

That Best of Show winner sounds pretty sick -- someone implemented a whole operating system (such as Windows) in 4096 bytes (about a page of code). Now that's some serious geeking.

No comments: