Thursday, December 05, 2002

Here's my top albums for the year, compiled a month or so in advance to save me from having to type this all up from some sweaty internet cafe deep in the heart of Indochina. Hope this "future posting" thing works.

Another pretty good year for music for me. I don't sample a lot. Usually I only buy ten or so CDs a year -- things I know I'm going to like, and they all make my list.

Note that some of these albums may be from the previous year. I'm not a music magazine -- I don't have to stickle.

10. Pinback, Blue Screen Life
The band that seems unwilling to play a chord. Every instrument plucks out individual notes, and the overlapping vocals are treated as just other instruments in the mix. Interesting pop that's oddly soothing.
Fave tracks: Concrete Seconds, Bbtone


9. Damon Alban et. al., Mali Music
Blur's front man traveled to Mali and recorded with their best musicians, then came home and modernized it all in the studio. It's a dazzling blend of third and first world music.
Fave track: Makelekele


8. Elvis Costello, When I Was Cruel
Actually, I listened to this album a bunch of times and decided it was a big disappointment. It was only after I decided that that I started to really enjoy it. I think it will be regarded historically as one of his weaker albums, but weak Elvis is still better than most artists' A material.
Fave tracks: My Little Blue Window, Radio Silence


7. Coldplay, A Rush Of Blood To The Head
I'm glad somebody's at least trying to put out the stadium-filling guitar pop/rock album that everyone wants Radiohead to do. This album surprised me; I had them pegged as one-hit wonders. Weak lyrically but everything else works.
Fave tracks: Politik, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face


6. Frank Black, Black Letter Days / Devil's Workshop
Two albums, actually, but I'm treating them as one. A little disappointingly more-of-the-same, but it's still solid work.
Fave tracks: 21 Reasons, Whiskey In Your Shoes


5. White Stripes, White Blood Cells
A man and a woman with a questionable romantic link, on stage together making a lot of noise. He writes and sings, she drums. No, not Quasi, who've made my list in previous years, but the White Stripes. Another nice surprise. Some fantastic songs, that seem to cross genres despite being played on the same set of instruments with the same basic sounds.
Fave tracks: The Same Boy You've Always Known, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, We're Going To Be Friends


4. Weezer, Maladroit
All my favorite bands put out CDs that seem to require many listens before you realize you like them. Weezer is the exception. You like it on the first listen, and are singing along by the second. It's bubblegum pop, but crunchier this time, and fantastic.
Fave tracks: Take Control, Burndt Jamb, Fall Together


3. Ron Sexsmith, Cobblestone Runway
Ron's best work in several years. Singing better and experimenting more, but still immaculately crafted.
Fave tracks: Gold In Them Hills, Disappearing Act


2. Polyphonic Spree, The Beginning Stages Of...
Pure joy, though some would say schmaltz. A twenty-five person choral/symphonic band that's the most uplifting thing I've heard in years. If the whole album was as good as half of it is, this would be my number one for the year, no question.
Fave tracks: It's The Sun, Hanging Around The Day, Soldier Girl


1. Sparklehorse, It's A Wonderful Life
Oh yes. My favorite album of the past couple of years. Warm and mysterious and haunting. It takes a while to seep into the cracks of your brain, but once it's there, it sets up shop. On so many albums, there's a frontal assault of aggressive songs, with an occasional slow song thrown in as kind of a relief. On this album the slower songs just build the tension -- followed by the occasional fast song that serves as a release. Featuring guest appearances by Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, and Nina Simone of the Cardigans.
Fave tracks: Gold Day, King Of Nails, Little Fat Baby

No comments: