Saturday, January 04, 2003

More pictures!

Wildlife spotting: the Hanoi gutter chicken.

Trekking 'mongst the rice paddies. The path that Marjorie and the guide (and the village children) are on is wide, but the smaller muddy barrier between the two levels you see in the middle is the sort of thing we spent much of the time walking on.

The outhouse over the river during our homestay.

A big load of bull. On the right, smart guy. Water buffalo droppings were enormous. I had big plans to take a picture of one, and post it with the caption: "Marjorie's reluctance to use the local squat toilets ended in embarrassment after four days of trekking." But I forgot.

Lots to see in this picture. The waterfall was nice. The path down the mountain was typical, and very, very slippery. The bridge on the right had gaps of at least a foot between boards; Marjorie crossed it because she had her hands free; I took the easy bridge to the left, because I was carrying our walking sticks. That's my story, at any rate. The villager is, I believe, a Black Hmong.

A typical spread of food.

No comments: