Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Disney. On a mailing list I'm on, we've been chatting a bit about Disney. Here's an excerpt from my last post:

This talk of Disney has me thinking back...

Some of my earliest memories are of our family vacation(s) to Disney World; we went pretty much every year while I was growing up. This involved a three-day car ride each way, down from New Jersey and back. With three kids. I don't know how my parents managed that.

Earliest trip for me had to be about '71 or so. I do remember being there just before Space Mountain opened, and I don't think that was our first trip.

Some other early memories:

  • Getting all excited to go on "Star Jets", and then being petrified when I discovered I had a fear of heights. My older brother, who was manning the controls, kept us up as high as we could go for the whole ride. Big meanie.

  • Being given my (E?) ticket to get into the Country Bear Jamboree while in line, and promptly losing it. Several very nice people offered us their tickets when we went back through the line to look for it. I was probably crying.

  • Losing my shiny New Year's hat over the rail into the water near Cinderella's Castle.

  • Laughing like crazy when the totem poles started chanting in the Tiki Room.

  • Chasing armadillos in Fort Wilderness.

  • My stomach falling out from under me for the first time, when the boat goes over the waterfall on Pirates of the Caribbean.

  • The mirrors, where it looks like a ghost is in your car with you, in the Haunted Mansion.

  • Fleeting bits from: Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. It's a Small World. The car racing thing (Autopia?). And The Hall of Presidents. If You Had Wings (had wings, had wings...). Jungle Safari.

    Lastly, I remember loving Disney so much that it actually made me sad... It's a hard feeling to describe, really, but I was just so worried that it might someday come to an end. I guess I was a melancholy kid.

    Here's a great site with old pictures of Disney, and people's recollections.
  • No comments: