Thursday, December 19, 2002

Back from the Imperial Cty. Pretty cool. The grounds are humongous, and much of it is in disrepair. This was the North Vietnamese Army's furthest incursion into the south, and they held it for thirty-some days, before we bombed the crap out of them following the Tet offensive. So, a lot of the damage was done by our bombs, but mostly I think it's just disrepair. I promised Marjorie a place like it, someday.

Forgot to mention -- one of the money changers (I think the one at the airport on the way in) gave me a counterfeit 50,000 dong note (worth about $3.33), which was not noticed until I tried to spend it. The paper is splitting, like the front and back were printed separately and glued together, and the watermark picture of Ho Chi Minh looks different. It'll be a nice thing for the scrapbook.

No comments: