Thursday, March 13, 2003

I've been running the SETI@home screensaver on my computers for years. This is the distributed program that borrows your spare computer cycles to look for signals of extraterrestrial life. You see, they have a lot more data, collected from the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico, than they have computers to analyze it all. So volunteers like myself run this screensaver program which does all the number crunching on my computers when I'm not using them.

Now, they're going to point the Arecibo telescope back at some of the most promising signals (none are very likely to be ones my computers discovered, but you never know), to see if there's anything there. Exciting stuff. I think the chances are slim of any kind of discovery, especially at this early stage, but what an extraordinary thing it would be if it happened. In the words of Frank Black,

Give me one little blip
And I'll totally flip
Say it's nothing but sky
And I will be one lonely guy

No comments: