Thursday, December 23, 2004

The year in music. Another year without me devouring any albums in particular. The problem this time wasn't the location (Singapore was a musical wasteland) but rather the lack of a car. I just don't listen to music that much without one. I could take a CD player on the tram but I find it cumbersome to carry them around. And MP3 players are still too labour intensive to load up. Around the house I never sit idle long enough to concentrate on the music. There's nothing like a car CD player for music enjoyment.

I did hear some good albums this year from Tom Waits, Jet, the Shins, Ron Sexsmith, Franz Ferdinand, the Finn Brothers, PJ Harvey, Modest Mouse, Sam Phillips, and Keane. But I haven't really fully digested any of them.

I do have an opinion on the Song of the Year -- Jet's "Look What You've Done". It's like a lost Beatles track. I just learned it on guitar today and it has sweet little chord structure to boot. Marjorie likes it too, but we're both of the opinion that the song needs just one more idea in it for it to have become a true classic. Jet is a young band though, and definitely going places. They hail from right here in Melbourne, so I'm looking forward to catching these guys live.

No comments: