Monday, October 07, 2002

Thoreau once wrote:

I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not LIFE, living is so dear... I wanted to live deep and suck out the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life... to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms... and be able to give a true account of it...


I've been thinking about this passage a lot. The "marrow" bit has been quoted overmuch lately -- it's the deliberately that really resonates with me. Almost all of what I (or maybe we) have done with our lives up to this point has been the path of least resistance. And there has always been friends or family nearby for counsel. This is the first real deliberate thing I've (we've) ever done, and with that comes enormous potential for self-doubt. Marjorie's right, though, we really have nothing to lose. We'll only have each other to count on, but that's not chopped liver.

No comments: