Thursday, October 10, 2002

Uhm..... Mark's last post there is hard to follow. Sobering isn't it, but truly is anyone suprised that the Bush Administration would have something in common with facists. I generally remain shockingly ignorant about the political goings-on of the world. It's emotionally too much for me to deal with, and I feel utterly impotent in the face of it. Worse, I know I contribute, and perhaps AM the problem because I choose to remain ignorant. Me and the majority of the country. Sigh.
Work today really sucked. This morning a mother asked me one of the many dreaded standard questions. This time it was "Do you think she'll be delayed for the rest of her life?". When you work with people who have very young children with disabilities you get asked lots of questions of this ilk all the time....and they are sooooo difficult to respond to. I want to be honest, but generally it's not the best policy to share my "honest opinion". Children are malleable, especially at the ages I see these little ones (birth to three), so even if the little one is significantly delayed now, it doesn't neccesarily mean that the child will have significant delays in a year....but.. they probably will. So, knowing that, how do you respond? My usual reply is that it's impossible to predict, which is true, but I still feel like I'm not being entirely upfront with these families.
In general though, I love my job, and I'm lucky to be in a position where I can help people.

No comments: