Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Weird how the brain works, isn't it? I was just typing the word "constants" and instead typed "constance". I type homonyms like that all the time -- I guess the part of my brain responsible for typing occasionally just "takes dictation" from the part of my brain that is internally "speaking" what it wants to have written. And I occasionally will type commands from programming languages I haven't used in years, out of the blue.

Marjorie and I both have books and movies and such indexed in our brains by their first letter, and at least for me, by the length of the words I'm trying to remember. Recently I was trying to come up with a book title that I wanted to read, but all I could remember was that it was one long word that started with an "C". (It was The Corrections, by the way.) We both do that all the time (especially when we play trivia games!).

Another weird thing I experience is that when I play word games such as Yahoo Word Racer, and I get in a "zone", memories of things long forgotten, unrelated to anything else I'm thinking about, will occasionally pop into my brain. It's sort of trippy.

Oh, and the alarm clock in the morning. I can't tell you how many times I've been completely confused as to its purpose when I wake up, or think that I can just turn it off (instead of snoozing it) for no reason that makes any sense whatsoever, or just plain forget how to work the snooze button. All because my brain has yet to engage. It just utterly befuddles me just about every morning.

I'm sure everybody's brains do strange things from time to time...

No comments: