Wednesday, August 28, 2002

I'm feeling loquacious today
I heard recently that when you go to Hollywood, the first celebrity you see becomes your "patron celebrity", and your life has rises and falls in direct correlation to the ups and downs of that celebrity's career. If that's true, mine is Michael McKean ("Squiggy" from "Happy Days", and later of "This is Spinal Tap" and "Saturday Night Live" fame). He sat in front of me at an Elvis Costello concert at the John Anson Ford Theater. That bodes well, I guess -- I still seem to see him a lot on the telly.

Marjorie and I have never been to Hollywood together, but we saw our first celebrity together in London. Walking by a Starbucks, we looked up, and who should be sitting in the window but Henry Rollins. To this day we regret not giving him the British two-finger salute, and running off. Just because he's Henry Rollins. And because he was in a Starbucks.

About six months ago we saw REM bass player Mike Mills in a local watering hole. I regret not complimenting him on his rendition of the national anthem at a Braves game I saw a few years back. (I also recently saw Michael Stipe outside an Indian restaurant in Athens, pacing the sidewalk while listening to headphones. I think he was probably composing a vocal part or something. REM sightings are common in these parts. My friend Mike, who used to live in Athens, could regale you for hours.)

Who is your patron celebrity?

No comments: