Thursday, October 03, 2002

Gotta love working with the public.
I had my own version of work woes today. The first family I was scheduled to see claimed (incorrectly) the appointment was supposed to be at 2:00pm, I was there at 9:00am. Also, the mother didn't realize that I, and the speech therapist accompanying me, needed to see the child, she assummed that for the EVALUATION she just needed to fill out more paperwork. When we explained we did need to see the little one, she claimed she couldn't wake him up because he won't cooperate with her. Just to clarify, I am not the first contact people have with our agency. First there is an intake process where someone comes out to fully explain the program and the evaluation process to the family. Next, an evaluation appointment is scheduled, generally over the phone with the parent to make sure the appointment is scheduled at a time that's good for the family. Next, a letter goes out giving the family written confirmation of the appointment. Then finally, the day before the appointment, a service coordinator calls the family to remind them of the appointment. I'd like to point out that the first assessment was scheduled at the family's home, so all they had to do was be there, answer the door, and wake up the kid. Some days that's just too much effort for people. But I guess I shouldn't complain because I'm getting paid (thanks taxpayers).

No comments: