Monday, September 02, 2002

Nature boy
Started the day off feeding manatees off my parent's dock. Manatees will come up when they hear water from a hose, for a drink of fresh water. The situation looks something like this. There were three of them -- two big ones and a baby. They wouldn't come up while I was standing there holding the hose, though, like in past visits; I guess it's a good thing that they're more scared of humans. Still, any day where you feed a manatee is a good day in my book.

Then we took a brief sail on my parents' sailboat. I asked my dad, "Do you ever have dolphins follow you out here?" "Sure," he said. Just then I spotted one over his shoulder, and a minute later, it was beside the boat checking us out.

We ran out of wind, and had to go back in under power. On the way back in there were four more dolphins, which were kicking up big waves as they chased fish. Other wildlife spotted today: two ospreys, many cormorants, many pelicans, many seagulls, some least terns, a great blue heron, and some smaller heron.

No comments: